Monday, June 4, 2012

Manual for Working in a Local Government Office


I started a job at a pleasant place
Dozen trees, a fat cat, a grouchy pup, people and all,
“Where you from?” asked one, the one who showed me around
“Where your mother?” asked another, a petite one
“What you do? What you eat? Man, is that gum?”
“Any pets? No boyfriend? Shoes how much?” asked another.
At first I wished to tell them off
Or boast or joke, say “shoes 11,000 dollars you bum!”
But on my first day I had to be nice
If not they’ll chop me off and my career they’d dice.
I knew so ‘cuz I told one from my previous place “Yum, Italian mice”
When he asked me what I was eating with my lunch time rice.
Next day, he screwed up all my appointments, you see?
And complained to the boss I kicked his weak knee.
It was such a hassle to tell those new ones
Of my history, family, hobbies, habits and pets
Why people get so nosey I don’t understand
It maybe because they’re scared maybe I look like a criminal brand
“Wear your hair up in a bun. Don’t apply lipstick or paint your thumb”
“No sunglasses when you are traveling far”
“Flat shoes ok? Get permission from your Ma!”
“Say ‘sir’ when you talk to your boss”
“You want PhD? What about children? Your loss!”
“Why women want degree when they are going to marry?”
“Oh, child! Why you questioning about the salary?”
“Don’t wrap your meal in tin foil, such a waste!”
“Tell your clients to stand by the gate”
It took me months to process all these laws
Of a ‘typical’ institution, full of mules! (Oh yes I’m mad!)
Why not leave me to be and my lose hair for a while,
Let me do my job well and live life fine?
No, I don’t weigh a ton; no I haven’t colored my hair
Why is my parent’s origin such a curious affair?
 So, I have a pet snake, does it interfere with my job?
Do my pointy shoes make my typing any slow?
Or my lipstick make my brain waves blur?
Seriously, people should stop being such snobs
And expect all else to stick to the so-called norms
So long as I look decent and do my job
It shouldn’t bother them, they should (Polite request) shut up! 


No comments:

Post a Comment